On 10-11 May 2021, with a two-day online meeting, the PEACOC (Pre-commercial pilot for the efficient recovery of Precious Metals from European end-of-life resources with novel low-cost technologies) project was officially launched. The PEACOC project received €11.2 million from the EU’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation programme to demonstrate on a pre-commercial pilot scale metallurgical novel process for the recovery of precious metals from a wide variety of end-of-life products.
About the project
- Setting up a new large-and-complete value chain of 19 partners to produce precious metals from end-of-life products available in Europe that are not recovered yet and estimated at:
- ~50 t platinum-group metals per year from unrecycled spent autocatalysts,
- ~30 t gold per year, ~10 t palladium per year, and ~100 t silver per year from unrecycled end-of-life printed circuit board assembly,
- ~ 720 t of silver expected in 2030 from emerging photovoltaic waste streams in Europe.
- Demonstrating new technology to address the challenge of effectively and efficiently recovering low grade precious metals from complex waste matrices designed with a near zero-waste approach and a true circular economy mindset.
- Developing the first-in-kind pre-commercial compact, mobile and modular refining system at pilot scale with a production capacity of up to 2 kg of precious metals per week to expand the business of their recycling across the Europe. Thus, allowing SMEs to exploit the recycling of end-of-life products and untapped resources.
- Designing and produce novel equipment at pre-commercial scale for precious metals refining by European SMEs.
- Easing the decision for investment in new production plants as potential investors will be able to lease and test the PEACOC solution at pre-commercial scale, without the need for prior large investments.
- Supporting the European Commission in reaching the ambitious energy and climate targets stated in the Green Deal. By demonstrating the use of recovered precious metals as catalysts for reducing emissions and for clean energy generation, it will minimize environmental impacts and risks, and gain the trust of the European communities in the raw materials sector.
- Promoting Sustainability by developing valorization and up-cycling strategies for all by-product associated with the recovery of precious metals.
- Significantly improve the economic viability and market potential of recycling of precious metals. This will be gained through the pilot-scale process, leading to expanding the business across Europe .
- Increase the health, safety and environment performance of the precious metals’ recycling process aiming to reach secure-and-sustainable access and exploitation of precious metals end-of-life- products.
- Produce precious metals at a profit margin up to 80% compared to current precious metals market prices.
- Unlock a significant volume of various secondary raw materials currently unexploited/underexploited.
- Create new job opportunities in raw materials production and equipment manufacturing.
Follow PEACOC on LinkedIn
Learn more about the project at Cordis page.