The Catalan (Spanish) research centre has developed a novel platform for the development of biodegradable nano and microparticles for the encapsulation of great variety of actives for application in multiple sectors. It is customizable, scalable, sustainable (biodegradability that conforms to OECD guidelines), with long-lasting active release in a biodegradable and bio-source delivery system at the optimum time and site for maximum performance. Partners interested in R&D collaboration are sought
The Catalan (Spanish) research centre is a non-profit global leader organization, focused on the newly-discovered physical and chemical properties that arise from the behaviour of matter at the nanoscale. Nowadays, there is a great interest in the replacement of polymeric microplastics in the products on the market due to the first restriction proposed by European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) in 2019. A microplastic is a material consisting of solid polymer-containing particles. Microplastics are used in nutraceuticals, medical, cosmetic, or home care products to provide a range of functions, including their use as delivery systems, abrasives, opacifying agents and anti-foam agents. According to the proposed ECHA restriction report (2022), polymers-containing particle shall not be placed on the market as a substance on its own or in a mixture as a microplastic in a concentration equal to or greater than 0.01% w/w. The main objective of the technology is to provide biodegradable nano- and microparticles with encapsulated actives that comply with ECHA microplastic restrictions. Rather than conventional plastics, the nano- and microparticles are made of polymers (or mixtures) from natural or renewable carbon sources. A wide range of materials (hydrophobic and hydrophilic) can be loaded into them. The technology can give complete active protecting, minimizing instability and degradation in extreme and demanding conditions. This technology has been spread in various sectors such as nutraceuticals, medical, cosmetic or home care. The technology is based on fully scaled solutions and supports customer requirement in meeting sustainability ambitions. The research centre is looking for companies and R&D institutions interested in leading proof of concept studies to validate the technology for concrete applications under a R&D with technical assistance collaboration agreement.
Advantages and innovations
Contact / source
- The main advantages and innovations of the technology are:
- Customizable, advanced, and sustainable nano
- and microencapsulation technology.
- Long-lasting active release in a biodegradable and bio-source delivery system at the optimum time and site for maximum performance.
- Complete active protection. Eliminating instability and degradation in extreme and demanding conditions.
- Fully scaled solution.
- Supports customers in meeting their sustainability ambitions.
- Combination of biodegradable and renewable carbon source material, delivering long-lasting active experience appreciated by both customers and consumers.
- Capsules with more than 60% renewable carbon material and a biodegradability that conforms to OECD guidelines.
: NEXT EEN Widgets (europa.eu)
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN KNOWING MORE
ABOUT THIS PROJECT PLEASE
REGISTER AS FREE MEMBER OR LOGIN IF ALREADY REGISTERED