- Why use Innovation Place
- Funds for r&d
- About us
- PNO services
The Spanish research center has been involved in the characterization and development of antimicrobial surfaces since 2014. So far, numerous tests have been carried out, following national and international regulations, which have allowed numerous companies from different sectors to evaluate their products in order to determine their antimicrobial character.
The most requested tests together with their corresponding standards and technical documents are those referenced below. As a matter of fact, these tests and as such they are the main ones that the Spanish research centre has implemented along the years and the ones that generate the greatest impact when presenting antimicrobial products to the market:
• Tests for antibacterial, antimicrobial or antifungal activity on plastic and synthetic polymeric materials (ISO 22196, JIS Z 2801, ISO 846, ASTM G21, ASTM G22)
• Tests for antibacterial activity on fine ceramics (advanced ceramics, advanced technical ceramics) and semiconducting photocatalytic materials (ISO 27447)
• Test for antibacterial properties on porous antibacterial treated articles (ASTM E3160)
• Tests for antibacterial activity and efficacy or the microbiological resistance on textile products (JIS 1902, UNE-EN 12225)
• Tests for antimicrobial activity under dynamic contact conditions (ASTM 2149)
• Tests for antifungal properties in varnishes (UNE EN 15457)
• Tests for antimicrobial properties in pulp, paper and board (EN 1104, ISO 8784-1)
• Other: antimicrobial disk susceptibility (CLSI-2015-M02-A12), dilution antimicrobial susceptibility for bacteria growing aerobically (CLSI-M07-A9), dilution antifungal susceptibility of yeasts (CLSI-M27-A3) and dilution antifungal susceptibility of filamentous fungi (CLSI-M38-A2)
Furthermore, new protocols or standard adaptations have been also developed by the centre, depending on the nature of the materials under test. In this way, it has been possible to work on projects and collaborate with companies regarding the following topics:
Different collaboration projects have also been developed with medical research centers, in order to develop the most aseptic environments possible, with the aim of decreasing incidence of nosocomial infections, unfortunately common today in our hospitals.
Currently, the center is involved in the development of antiviral coatings against surrogate viruses of SARS-CoV-2, in addition to bactericides and fungicides, in order to introduce new product accordance with the demands of the different sectors to deal with the transmission of the virus by contact through contaminated surfaces.
The center is looking for research partners in order to build proposals or participate in consortia mainly for the Horizon Europe topic of Cluster 4 “Antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal nanocoatings” (RIA) HORIZON-CL4-2021-RESILIENCE-01-02, although other European programmes and research collaborations may also be considered. A research partnership agreement is envisaged.
Advantages & innovations
The centre intends to provide their expertise and know-how to a new project under the topic above. They are a reference research centre focused on materials (mainly metal, wood and wood-based) but also others related to furniture and coatings (such as paints, varnishes or different polymers); packaging (corrugated board). They work every day closely with the companies to overcome their real market requirements and support Spanish companies to innovate and be better placed in national and international markets. In this way, they present extensive experience in improving the products of companies from a fully applied point of view. This practical expertise and know-how allow them to build businesses from a research project results, maximizing its impact on companies and society.
Stage of development
Available for demonstration
The center looks for partners from the academia or the industry with a project idea to contribute as research partner with their expertise and knowledge.
Source/ contact: Enterprise Europe Network (europa.eu)
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN KNOWING MORE ABOUT THIS PROJECT PLEASE REGISTER AS FREE MEMBER OR LOGIN IF ALREADY REGISTERED