A Spanish research group has developed polymers for detecting compounds released by certain decomposing foods. This technology allows to know if packaged food, specifically fish, is still suitable for consumption. They are looking for commercial and research cooperation agreements with companies and institutions related with the food sector. The new partners' role would be to test the technology in their facilities and/or give economical support to improve/adapt the technology to their need
Until now, the expiration date (or best before date) is the only information available to the consumer to know the useful life of a food. The polymers developed by this Spanish organization make it possible to determine the presence of biogenic amines that a food releases during its putrefaction. By applying this technology, the presence of, for example, putrescine and cadaverine (two of the most common amines) can be determined quickly and efficiently. This technique is positioned as a viable alternative to the determination of these compounds by techniques that are more complex, such as HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography). It would be desired to find companies from all around the world to transfer the technology and/or start a collaboration with the Spanish institution. Applying for European funds, with both companies and research groups/institutions, could be a very interesting option, in calls related with food safety.
Advantages and innovations
Contact / source
- The main advantages of this material and its use in the determination of the chemical compounds of
- interest are:
- Simple and cheap. It does not require handling of reagents or pre-treatment.
- Specific. The detection of amines in the gas phase has no interferents.
- Response time. The analysis is practically immediate (colour change and fluorescence).
- Versatile. The polymer can be presented as a film, a membrane or covered by fibres, such as cotton.
: NEXT EEN Widgets (europa.eu)
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN KNOWING MORE
ABOUT THIS PROJECT PLEASE
REGISTER AS FREE MEMBER OR LOGIN IF ALREADY REGISTERED