BACKGROUND OF THE PROBLEM
- Beyond deployment of conventional solar PV panels, there are more opportunities to harness solar energy through novel applications of solar technologies and non-conventional solar installation that factors in aesthetic considerations as well as the structural context.
- Specifically, SDC is looking to deploy new solar technologies and structures for non-conventional location and structures including: round structures, vertical structures etc.
- Deployment of these technologies could also harness the potential to yield brand value and experience benefits to Sentosa as a sustainable destination and to achieve our carbon neutrality goal.
- There are also opportunities for guest engagement and serving as a form of public education on novel applications of solar energy.
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS / PERFORMANCE CRITERIA:
- Solutions must comply with all regulatory requirements in Singapore, which may involve working with relevant regulatory agencies to seek clearance to implement these novel application of solar energy harvesting. SDC will support solutions providers to navigate the regulatory landscape.
- Specific performance criteria will be jointly determined on a project-by-project basis as performance criteria are case dependent. Performance criteria we will look at on a case-by-case basis include:
- Efficiency performance criteria: Wp/m2
- Energy performance criteria: kWh/m2/year
- Commercial performance criteria: Payback Period (in years) or Return on Investment
- Other criteria: design and aesthetics considerations
- SDC is not looking for deployments in the sea. Deployment will be limited to land-based locations only.
Cost target is depending on the specific location and project proposal and will be determined on a case-by-case basis as part of project scoping.
TIMEFRAME FOR DEVELOPMENT
The timeframe is subject to the scope of the proposed pilot and the discussion and concurrence of both parties.
POTENTIAL MARKET / BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY
If the solution works well, it can be deployed in different locations in Singapore. Additionally, SDC is interested in exploring further deployment in different locations with solution providers.
SDC will provide project facilitation and rental waiver for the identified space during the pilot. SDC will provide support to seek clarifications and approvals from the relevant regulatory agencies, including exploring regulatory sandbox for novel applications of solar technologies.
Contact / source
- If implemented successfully, this can become a win-win for the demand driver and solution provider with significant scaling opportunities.
- The installation can yield brand value and experience benefits to Sentosa as a sustainable destination.
- There are additional opportunities to enhance guest engagement and for the installation to serve as a form of public education on novel applications of solar energy
: Enterprise Singapore Sustainability Open Innovation Challenge - Sustainability Open Innovation Challenge 2022 (innovation-challenge.sg)
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN KNOWING MORE
ABOUT THIS PROJECT PLEASE
REGISTER AS FREE MEMBER OR LOGIN IF ALREADY REGISTERED